One of the most frequent assertions by Jesus myth theorists is that the Gospel is based on Egyptian mythology. The reason for this is that Egypt is both really familiar and unfamiliar. That is, we are very aware of certain aspects of ancient Egypt but quite ignorant of the details. For this reason it is helpful for Christians to become more aware of ancient Egypt. A good place to start is Max Muller’s Egyptian Mythology. This is an older book but it still gives a very good overview of the issues and the characters of Egyptian mythology. In particular, Muller exposes the myth that there was ever a place for monotheism in ancient Egyptian religion. The book also includes many sections from the original texts and quite a few diagrams.
Books by Stephen J. Bedard
What I am Reading (You can purchase any of these by clicking on the covers)
Stephen Bedard on Things John Shelby Spong Think… Eric Conner on Things John Shelby Spong Think… Emerson on The Historical Jesus and the R… biblelad on Things John Shelby Spong Think… Robby Hall on Things John Shelby Spong Think…
- Three Reasons Why Rick Warren is a Heretic
- Who is the Father of Jesus Christ?
- Mere Apologetics
- Things John Shelby Spong Thinks He Knows About the Gospel of John
- Starbucks, Same-Sex Marriage and Getting Facts Straight
- Josephus, John the Baptist and the Historical Jesus
- Exposing the Spirit of the Age: A Response to the Zeitgeist Movie
- Top Ten Problems With the Jesus Myth Theory
- The Historical Jesus and the Raglan Scale
- Responding to the Gabriel Stone
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Job opening in philosophy at VU Amsterdam: prosblogion.ektopos.com/archives/2013/… fb.me/2ckGp2vqv 8 hours ago
- Call for papers for Ontario/Quebec regional meeting of ETS in Sept. 2013:... fb.me/A8cp0rQi 18 hours ago
- Michael Peppard tears into David Brooks and the NYT for a biblical error:... fb.me/MZRDpKji 21 hours ago
- Gene Cook's lecture series on presuppositional apologetics:... fb.me/2mXLCOXib 1 day ago
- Descendant of Darwin is a Roman Catholic apologist:... fb.me/2ggqPBJmW 1 day ago